My photo
Immovably fascinated by the world; it's properties, people, conditions, sensations, irony,
and all the amazing moments which, whether by enlightenment or scarring, bring about permanent change.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Julia Child


(Child's kitchen... my current desktop)


After having viewed the movie half a dozen times,
I'm now reading the book Julie and Julia by Julie Powell.
which is better than the film (as per usual),
because the directing/editing is pretty cheesy,
but, mostly, because Julie is portrayed by Amy Adams,
who is incapable of NOT being bubblely and adorable,
even when she's being sad.
That doesn't give much complexity for the role of Julie,
which is a shame, because Julie's writing deserves a deeper performance.
Reading the book, her disgruntled wit is making me laugh out loud in unexpected bursts
which is a tad awkward while on the bus or sitting at a bar...
Anyway, it's inspiring me to cook more, write more,
and to be more constructive in general (more so than I already am!).

I got a bunch of Child documentaries, biographies, and cook books from the Seattle Public Library.
Pretty interesting stuff.
She's a fanscinating person.
A tall glass of water overfloweth with life.





“Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.”


“I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate.”


“Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment;
but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet.”





"You must have discipline to have fun."


"Everything in moderation, including moderation."


"It took architects years to get established,
to show that they weren't just artisans,
and that's what I hope will happen with gastronomy.
For some reason people don't consider cooking a serious business,
but it's like any discipline,
and it's a passionate and fascinating one."





"Some people like to paint pictures, or do gardening,
or build a boat in the basement.
Other people get a tremendous pleasure out of the kitchen,
because cooking is just as creative and imaginative an activity
as drawing, or wood carving, or music."


"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces -
just good food from fresh ingredients."


"This is my invariable advice to people:
Learn how to cook -- try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless,
and above all have fun!"


"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.
In cooking you've got to have a 'What the hell?' attitude."


"The best way to execute French cooking
is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken."





"I would far prefer to have things happen as they naturally do,
such as the mousse refusing to leave the mold,
the potatoes sticking to the skillet,
the apple charlotte slowly collapsing.
One of the secrets of cooking is to learn to correct something if you can,
and bear with it if you cannot."


"I enjoy cooking with wine,
sometimes I even put it in the food I'm cooking."


"The measure of achievement is not winning awards.
It's doing something that you appreciate,
something you believe is worthwhile.
I think of my strawberry souffle.
I did that at least twenty-eight times before I finally conquered it."


"Moderation. Small helpings.
Sample a little bit of everything.
These are the secrets of happiness and good health."


"In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns,
we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."


"You can have some butter, you can have some olive oil.
It all comes down to moderation, variety, exercise and use your head."





I LOVE these two photos especially, which her husband, Paul, took of her;




What a great example of a good relationship.
I'll bet they laughed all the time.





"The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person.
You know they're right if you love to be with them all of the time."


"Cooking is like love;
it should be entered into with abandon or not at all."





"Dining with one's friends and beloved family
is certainly one of life's primal and most innocent delights,
one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal."


"It's fun to get together and have something good to eat at least once a day.
That's what human life is all about -- enjoying things."


"You find yourself refreshed by the presence of cheerful people.
Why not make an honest effort to confer that pleasure on others?
Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy."






No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog for